What are my options?
Medicare plans are not one size fits all. There are several different options available to you once you are a Medicare beneficiary. It is important to know what type of plan will work best for you.
Medicare Advantage Plan, also known as Part C, is a Medicare Plan run by private insurance companies. A Medicare Advantage Plan offers all of the benefits covered under Original Medicare and more. Medicare pays a fixed fee to the plan you choose in accordance with the 2003 Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act.
When enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan, benefits are provided according to the Evidence of Coverage for that particular plan. Providers (doctors, specialists, hospitals, etc.) bill the Medicare Advantage plan, and not Original Medicare. Many Medicare Advantage Plans also include a Part D Prescription Drug Plan.
Who can enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan?
- Those enrolled in Medicare Part A AND Part B
- Live in the service area of the plan
- NOT have End-Stage Renal Disease
How do I enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan?
- Contact us to discuss plan options, premiums, benefits and to help you enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan that best fits you.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan(s)
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan(s) will help pay Part A and Part B deductibles, as well as the Part B coinsurance. The amount the insurance company will pay depends on which plan you purchase. All Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan(s) are standardized by the federal government and labeled “A” through “N.” This means the only difference in benefits for a standardized Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan is the premium an insurance company charges.
Do Medicare Supplements cover prescription drugs?
- Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan(s) do not include a qualifying Part D Prescription Drug Plan.
- Some plans, however, offer prescription discounts. A separate stand-alone Part D Prescription Drug Plan is often purchased for prescription coverage.
How do I purchase a Medicare Supplement?
- Give us a call and we can discuss plans, premiums, and benefits available in your area.
Part D Prescription Drug Plan(s) (PDP)
Part D Prescription Drug Plan(s) helps pay for prescription drugs, but it is not added automatically when you enroll in Medicare. Part D Prescription Drug Plan(s) are a voluntary program and is purchased through a private insurance company. However, if you delay purchasing one, there will be a penalty assessed if you choose to enroll in a Part D Prescription Drug Plan later, unless there is an exception.
Are my drugs covered?
- It depends on the federal government guidelines on the type of prescription drugs that must be covered which does not necessarily mean your prescriptions are covered.
- Each insurance company has a different formulary (list of drugs they cover), depending on which plan you enroll in and the area you live in.
How much will my drug plan and prescriptions cost?
- Costs of each plan varies depending on the plan and drug formulary.
- Senior Med Benefit agents will review your prescriptions, benefits, and the cost plans prior to enrolling you in a Part D Prescription Drug Plan.
How do I enroll in a Part D Prescription Drug Plan?
- You have two choices when enrolling in a Part D Prescription Drug Plan.
- You can enroll in a stand-alone Part D Prescription Plan or a Medicare Advantage plan. Most Medicare Advantage Plans have Part D Prescription Drug coverage included in the plan, which allow the beneficiary to use the same card for prescription drugs, hospital care, and doctor appointments.
- Stand-alone Part D Prescription Drug Plan(s) are typically purchased as an addition to Original Medicare and a Medicare Supplement Plan.
- If you do not have other credible prescription coverage, and you decide not to enroll in a Part D Prescription Drug Plan, you will be assessed a penalty for late enrollment if you choose to enroll in a Part D Prescription Drug Plan at a later date.
- Contact us and we will review all your drug related information to ensure you choose the right plan for your needs.